Monday, October 25, 2010

Darker Days


Today is bright and beautiful. Jesus has shown me a shining path that he has for me, and that it's there with a wide, vast future in store! However, after coming down from a spiritual high - the fact that my chrysalis was no longer binding me, the swift, wide wind at the tip of my spiritual wings - I became frightened. That big, wide world is intimidating, you know! My chrysalis beckoned me with a force that can not be explained. And I succumbed. My chrysalis is in fact a bedroom with dark, heavy drapes and a door that closes tightly. The quiet solitude it offers is almost intoxicating. I'm away from the world, reality, and all things scary when I shut myself in. Again I can only see darkness. I see no change of metamorphosis, no hope that there will be a day of flight. And I wonder how it is that after feeling so free, I can choose that cocoon once again! I know it is the work of the evil one, yet I feel defenseless against his powers.

Fact: He that is in me is greater than he that is in the world. Okay, true. I accept that. But am I the only one who doesn't always FEEL like it's true? I have heard discussions, sermons, and talks recently on feelings and though I know that they can be fickle, I find solace in the fact that the Psalmist says "RESTORE unto me the joy of thy salvation". Meaning at one point there wasn't that joy, and his feelings were the opposite of what he knew to be true.

I had the privilege of praying with a dear friend of mine a couple days ago, and her words encouraged me so much. The day seems brighter today because of the way we were able to grab hold of the words Jesus showed us to be true. And though I know that the darkness will come again because of warfare, I seek the light of his truth today. I hope I always will. Today is bright and beautiful.

5 comments:

  1. To be truthful, Shel, I have never felt that darkness until recently. It is scary. And, I have had to grab hold of God's promises. Cling to them for life. I need some restoration....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I know what you mean. I never once struggled with depression until a few years ago and some MAJOR changes in my spiritual life. His promises are TRUE!!! And his truth is light, not darkness! Cling to them, for sure! Love and prayers your way, my friend! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. The truth shall make us free. Knowing the truth of how loved you are by a God who adores you. Knowing the truth that there is hope.
    I love you Shel. I love to walk this winding path with friends like you by my side. Its good to know that we are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes, Julie!! I agree. How wonderful it is to know that we are not alone! Love you and cherish this journey we share.

    ReplyDelete