Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Dream a little dream of me

I have three fabulous children.



They make me smile. As the ray of sun brightens this picture while I stood conspicuously behind them; so they light up my life.

When I became a young mother at the age of 22, I got all the books I could. I read. I formulated plans. I implemented strategies. I found every answer I could. Though the days were sometimes long and hard, by the time I was a mother of three at age 26, I had my philosophies in place. And they worked.

For the most part, I had children who listened quickly, were obedient, sweet-natured and kind. I would tell them, much like I had been told when I was young, that they were created for something special. Anything they put their mind to, they could do. I reflected little on my past or how my dreams as a child would go from being a musician to lawyer-no, movie star- no, teacher all in an afternoon.


Yet now, as a mother of a teenage girl, I find myself in constant reflection. I had dreams of grandeur and fame, modest philanthropic dreams, and just plain simple dreams too. That did not stop as an adult, except these dreams took on a new identity. I began to dream for my children. I still do. I don't think that I was (or am) wrong to do so, but in my state of reflection I find that my premise may have been skewed.

You see, I remember distinctly how my dreams of "being anything you want" quickly became "being what you want within the parameters of what we think you should be". And I could see myself doing the exact same thing. Those dreams I had for my kids were just that. My dreams. And it's not extremely easy to relinquish that desire to not only want them to do something, but to push them toward it, or away from something else, as the case may be.

So, I have been dreaming a little more. Shocked? Don't be. For as I see that my dreams may not be their dreams, I have learned something. I listen to them. I hear their dreams, and I dream with them. Sometimes it seems so silly and unlikely, and even unorthodox or taboo in this world of "nothing is acceptable outside of what I tell you". But I realize that as my dreams changed from the nearly impossible to what became a reality, those dreams will most likely change for them too.

I am learning, don't get me wrong. I will be pleased to see my kids in some areas, and probably disappointed if they choose others. But my dreams will be that they find whatever it is that God has in store for them. He may choose to fulfill his plan in a way I could have never imagined. And most likely that will be the case; he's funny that way. But for me, I am renouncing my dreams. My dreams are no longer dreams of them and what I see for their future. No, their dreams are now mine. No limits.

The sky's not the limit. Nope. God is limitless. Think of the possibilities!

4 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, good stuff Shelly. Their options are limitless! I can't wait to see what God does with our children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Your dreaming a little more..." that sentence makes my heart happy.
    You are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading the post on your blog. I would like to invite you to come on over to my blog and check it out. God bless, Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Lloyd, I'm glad you stopped in! I'll be sure to check out your blog, God bless you as well.
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete