Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Playing the Fool

I have the morning off. We've decided to cut our home-school coop down to three days a week so the kids can focus more at getting work done with less distraction for at least two days a week. And since some of the kids are heavily into their sports training schedules, this gives them an extra two days of sleeping just a bit longer. So, we're trying this method on for size. Well, on our first morning off, I took the kids to McDonald's because two days ago - are you ready for it? They started serving breakfast here!! Something we've been waiting on for years! We all piled in the car, and enjoyed our little treat of hashbrowns, sausage, coffee and English muffins. Then, we came home for a little school work and, of course, playing outside. Now I sit quietly in my room, my drapes drawn back wide to let the beautiful sun warm a wintry day as I once again enjoy the view of my side of the mountain.

I grabbed a pencil and a notepad and began scribbling down verses from the past couple weeks. For the last two or three weeks it seemed as if all sermons, discussions, Sunday school lessons, and Bible reading have all been pointing me to the same thought. GOD LOVES ME! And I have been a fool to ever doubt it! But don't we all sometimes? The Psalmist says in chapter 13 "How long will you forget me?" Yet he knew deep down, that he was not forgotten. He ended the same chapter proclaiming God's goodness in song!

As I listened to Sunday's sermon on God's love, I was grabbed by so many things in the text. Galatians chapters 2 and 3. But verse 18 of chapter 2, and verse 3 of chapter 3 sent my thoughts a-whirling! Galatians 3:3 begins with a question: "Are you so foolish?" Hm... foolish? Really? All I could think of is the verse in Psalms where it tells us that a fool has said in his heart that there is no God (14:1). And I wondered. Is there a correlation? Do I - every time I think that I can "do" something to make things better - say in my heart there's no God? To make myself more presentable, acceptable, holy, am I just deep down in my heart, playing the fool? Saying that there is no God big enough to work in that part of me? So I looked further.

Galatians 2:17 - 3:4, and the whole chapter and the next one, really, because it's hard not to just swim in the words of these chapters, but I stopped and chewed on the truth of some of these verses! If I build again the things which were destroyed (2:18)... building of my own hands, I make myself a transgressor! If I try to build through the law, I am bound by it, and therefore a transgressor! Do we even get that? I am NOT considered a sinner in the sight of God. I am a saint, his redeemed, son and heir (Gal. 4:7) but when I build again the things that were destroyed (the bondage of the rules of the law) I am condemning myself. But wait a sec, there's no condemnation, right? (Romans 8:1)

Maybe I'm just a preschooler when it comes to Bible knowledge, I don't know, but it's as if so many things that used to be a little confusing or just not spelled-out enough for me to really want to know what it all meant are seemingly making tons of sense these days. Galatians 2:20 is for real. The life that I live in the flesh is livable by the faith of the Son of God WHO LOVED ME AND GAVE HIMSELF FOR ME! Because if righteousness comes by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.... what powerful words. In vain. Have I painted a picture of vanity when I tried to gain favor through anything but faith?

Oh, I know I'm babbling at this point... that I can't seem to get my words to match the floods of emotion in my heart or the racing thoughts of my brain as I wallow engulfed in this truth that has been here all along, but I can't help but stay here a while.

I'll just close with two more verses. Galatians 4:9 "But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?" Galatians 5:1 "Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage."

We are free, loved, redeemed, sons, heirs.. oh, just read the whole book. It's only 6 chapters and you'll have to just read it again and again if you're anything like me. Just to soak it up.

Oh, I have to post 2 more, because it's just too good not to, and the words, well, they sum it up like I never could!

Galatians 6: 14 "But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world." and the culmination of what I truly desire for this blog... verse 18 "Brethren, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen."

1 comment:

  1. Amazing, isn't it, to be 'grabbed' again by the love of God!

    ReplyDelete