Friday, February 10, 2012

Brownies

Since this is the first of my recipe posts, I just wanted to specify a couple things I do. They are optional, of course, but healthier. I always keep my flour at a half wheat/ half white mix. I have found that if you make whole wheat brownies or cookies, the consistency is compromised greatly. But if you mix half and half, the cakes won't fall apart on you. And you only get half the amount of white flour intake! Also, if you want to substitute sugar with honey, just use half of the amount. Honey is sweeter and requires only half as much as sugar. I am going to try to be precise with my recipes even though I am not the type to measure everything while cooking. So, be forewarned... you might find you need to tweak things for them to work for you! ;)

Here are my SUPER easy brownies. They can be a bit temperamental, so keep an eye on them! We like gooey brownies in our house, and they can be very cakey if overcooked.. something I did not too long ago, to my family's dismay! But if you are careful, these are the best not-from-a-mix brownies I have ever had.

1 cup (200g) unsalted butter
3/4 cup (96g) cocoa
2 cups (270g) sugar
1/2 cup (40g) plain white yogurt
1 Tablespoon (10g) baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 cups (270g) flour
(Walnuts optional - maybe 1/2 cup?? I just eyeball it)

Melt butter in medium sauce pan on low. When melted, add sugar and cocoa while stirring. Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients one at a time, stirring each ingredient until well-mixed before adding the next. Bake in a greased and lightly floured 9x13 (23x33cm) glass pan. You will get the best results if you use glass, and probably be disappointed if you try this recipe in a metal pan! Bake for 22 - 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven (180 C). Like I said, keep your eye on these as they can be overcooked easily. I usually check them at around 18 minutes, turn them (I have a gas oven) and then decide how long they need from there. In my oven, they usually cook from 24 - 26 minutes. If you like them gooey (like ME!) then take them out when your toothpick is a little "sticky" but not full of runny batter. Let cool before cutting and serving. I like to serve mine within an hour or so of baking so they are cool enough to cut, but warm enough to serve with good old vanilla ice cream!

ENJOY!

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I will have to try these. I recently started shopping at a bread co here in Akron that uses all natural ingredients...and they use honey in place of sugar. LOVE their bread! It's so different than store bought wheat bread. I will try this tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BUH! Go Vegan on the Brownies! They're WAY better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll try them. Thank you so much! They are really delicious!

    ReplyDelete